Are you looking for more ways to smoke hash, like in a joint? Do you want to spice things up and learn how to smoke hash to make your hashish smoking escapades more memorable?
In this article, I’m going to dive into the best ways on how to smoke hashish, from traditional old-school methods like hash pipes and hot knives, to modern techniques like vaporizers and dabs.
I’ll break down everything you need to know with step-by-step instructions and cover the gear and smoking accessories you’ll need, along with techniques, and the pros and cons of each hash smoking method. I’ll also give you some tips and tricks of my favorite methods for getting the most out of your hash smoking experience.
So, get your best chunk of hash and get ready, also grab your favorite cup of Joe and let’s go! I have my hash collection ready…
Guide to the different ways to smoke hash.
Here are the most common ways to smoke hash. Of course, there are many more ways to smoke hash. Simply put, your imagination can unlock countless more ways to enjoy this! The best ways (my favorites) are highlighted throughout the article.
- Smoking hash using a Pipe or Bowl: See my step-by-step instructions.
- Make a Soda Can hash pipe: Enough said, check out my guide on how to do this.
- Roll a Joint, Blunt, or Spliff Salad as I like to call it: See my step-by-step instructions.
- Smoking hash with your Vaporizer: See my pros & cons.
- Smoking hash with your Bong or Bubbler: See my step-by-step instructions.
- Vaping hash using a Dab Rig: See my step-by-step instructions.
- Press some Hot Knives: See my step-by-step instructions.
- Smoking hash using a One Hitter: I’m not the biggest fan of One Hitters because they are too harsh to smoke, but nevertheless, they are popular due to their discreetness. Learn how to use a One Hitter with Honest Marijuana.
- Try the old school Bottle Toke (BT) method: Pufferson.ca has a detailed guide on the BT method.
The best 4 ways of how to smoke hash.
The hash pipe or bowl is one the oldest and the preferred method to get the best overall hash experience. Rolling a hash joint is my second favorite method, while using a vaporizer is my third best way of how to smoke hash, and it’s the healthiest. In fourth place, it’s the good old bong or bubbler.
The hash pipe is a classic and straightforward method for enjoying your hash. It provides the most pure flavour because you aren’t burning anything else with it, such as cannabis flower or tobacco.
What you will need.
- Your favorite pipe or bowl, that’s been cleaned.
- A lighter or torch.
- A chunk of hash 🙂
Pros and cons of smoking hash using a pipe.
Best 100% pure hash flavor.
Harsher smoking experience. Burning hash is up to 200 degrees hotter when compared to vaporizing it.
Easiest and quickest method.
Hash heaters can be accidently inhaled sometimes.
Inexpensive, hash pipes typically cost under $20. You can even make your own.
Smoking with a pipe is more of a personal experience, and it's not as social as sharing a hash joint.
Easy to clean, just dump it out and reload.
Hash pipes will last forever if you take care of them.
Step-by-step instructions of how to use hash pipe:
1) The first step is to break your hash into small, manageable chunks. This ensures a more even burn for a smoother smoking experience. Place these pieces in the bowl of your hash pipe. If you have a pipe screen this is the perfect time to use it, as it prevents the hash heaters from being inhaled directly. Don’t put too much in because it will smoke like crazy ending up wasting your hash.
2) Once your hash is in place, gently heat it with a lighter or torch. You’ll notice the hash begin to bubble and burn, releasing flavourful smoke.
3) Hold your finger over the ventilation hole while heating and inhaling steady, then release and inhale harder through the mouthpiece of the pipe to force all the smoke into your lungs. Voila! You’re now smoking hash using a hash pipe.
Tips and tricks.
- Use a screen in the bowl of the pipe so you don’t inhale hash heaters. You can buy screens online or from any head shop, they’re dirt cheap. When in a pinch, you can also do what I did back in the day and remove the screens from your household taps, they fit perfect. But don’t forget to put them back!
- If you can’t find any screens to use, you can always add a little ground up flower to the bowl to act as a bed for your hash, but this method takes away from the pure taste of hash.
- Once the hash starts burning, it won’t stop. This is your prime time to inhale as many rips as you can.
- Remember, the key is to take your time and enjoy the ride – there’s no need to rush. Happy smoking!
Enjoying a hash joint, spliff, or blunt is all about the experience, and it’s even better when you are sharing and showing off with friends. So, sit back, relax, and let the good times roll.
When it comes to smoking hash in a joint, spliff, or blunt, it’s crucial that you prepare the joint properly for a beautiful smoking joint that burns evenly. I have the best process for this that I’ve been using for over 35 years. The best method to use is by crumbling your hash rather than making a hash hole. Keep reading to find out more.
What you will need.
- Rolling papers of your choice. Flavoured ones are not recommended because you want to savor the original spicy and rich tastes of hash.
- Filler to combine with the hash. In the old days back in Ontario tobacco was used as the main filler. Nowadays, cannabis flower or herbal blends are the 2 most common fillers for a hash joint.
- Grinder if you use weed in your hash joints.
- Rolling tray.
- Lighter or butane torch.
- Holding device like tweezers to heat your hash.
- Filters if desired.
Pros and cons of smoking hash in a joint, spliff, or blunt.
You get double the bang! Tossing a salad with herb and hash into a joint makes for a much more potent THC/Trichome experience.
You waste hash by it freely burning away into the air while you are smoking your joint. Other methods do a better job in preserving your precious smoke in chambers.
It's more social and better for getting a group of people really stoned at the same time.
More hash is required when rolled into a joint, compared to using a hash pipe or bong.
It's a truly unique taste when you mix hash with cannabis flower.
Hash joints burn much hotter and you can't control the temperature like you can when using a vaporizer.
My process for the best way to roll a hash joint – step-by-step instructions.
1) Prepare to toss a salad and get your rolling tray out, your hash, preferred filler type, and grinder if needed. For me in the pics shown, I’m using an indica craft strain – Gas Mask, and Jamaican Gumball hash.
2) Break off a chunk of hash that you want to use for your joint. In the picture above I’m using about a third of a gram. That is enough hash for an average to moderate sized joint. It’s important to note that the ratio of hash to weed can’t be too high, otherwise your joint won’t burn well and will end up being a total embarrassing let down.
I usually use the following ratio as a general guideline for perfectly burning hash joints – For every 1 gram of flower, blend in a 0.3333 grams of hash. You can go up to about 0.4 grams, but I wouldn’t use much more hash than that. You might risk having issues with the burn and having to relight the joint repeatedly, resulting in a bad experience, not to mention, a big waste of time and money.
3) Now you have to grind up your weed using the ratio I mentioned above. Grind it up to a medium grind, don’t make it too fine or your joint will run (canoe) and burn unevenly. Then form the weed into a nice little bed on your rolling tray in preparation for the fluff.
4) Now you have to fluff your hash and crumble it into the ground up bed of flower. This is an important step and it has to be done right for the best smoking hash joint.
This is how it’s done: Start by taking that chunk of hash and securing it with tweezers, or anything you can find so you can heat it up without burning your fingers.
Now heat the hash using your lighter while holding it above the bed of weed. Heat it to a point when the hash is just starting to smoke.
Now is the time to drop it into the bed of weed.
Immediately pick up the hash with your fingers and fluff it into the weed by breaking it up and tossing/rolling it into the weed, over and over, until all the hash is crumbled and mixed into the weed with no large chunks. Break up the large chunks with your fingers until you get a nice even consistency throughout. Good quality hash should fluff easily using this technique And, yes, your nails are going to be lined with hash, but that’s a good thing in my book!
5) Roll your joint the best way you know how. Just don’t roll it too tight or too loose. Too tight, and your hash joint won’t burn at all, too loose, and hash heaters will fall off the cherry and burn your skin and holes in your clothes.
I remember back in the day when my mom always asked me why I had so many burn holes in my shirts when she did my laundry, lol. I always said the same thing and told her that it was from my friends smoking cigarettes and I reminded her how I always ended up getting dirty and wrecking my clothes. It worked every time, so I thought.
Tips and tricks.
- Use a filter for your hash joints because this will allow you to smoke the resin-soaked end of the joint to its max. Additionally, a filter will help block rogue hash heaters getting through into your lungs.
- A sign of good quality hash is when it fluffs easily without having to heat it up too much to the point of it lighting on fire. Hash that is too sticky or dry when its heated should set off some red flags.
- Don’t put too much hash into your mix, it will just cause you grief.
There are several pros and cons of using a vaporizer with your hash, but the pros far out weigh the cons in this case. You can use a dry herb vape, or a concentrates vape that’s designed specifically for extracts like hash and hash rosin. Both types of vapes work fine with hash, you just might have to clean your dry herb vape more often.
Pros and cons of using a vaporizer for your hash.
It's healthier. Vaporizers heat the hash to a temperature that releases its active compounds without actually burning it. This means you're inhaling vapor, not smoke, which is less harmful to your lungs. Combustion, which occurs when smoking/burning hash, releases harmful toxins and carcinogens.
The cost. High-quality vaporizers can be quite expensive, over $200. Although they can be more efficient in the long run, the upfront cost might be a deterrent for some hash lovers.
Vaporizers are generally more efficient at extracting the active compounds from hashish. This means you can use less hash to achieve the same effect, which can save you money in the long run.
High maintenance. Vaporizers require regular cleaning to keep them functioning properly. This can be a bit of a hassle compared to other ways of consuming hash.
Enhanced flavor. Vaporizers offer a purer, cleaner flavor than smoking. You get a true taste of the natural terpenes, and not the burnt taste that can come from combustion.
If you're using a portable vaporizer, you'll need to keep an eye on the battery life. There's nothing worse than your vaporizer dying in the middle of a vaping sesh!
Better control. Vaporizers come with adjustable temperature settings, allowing you to customize your experience. Different temperatures release different compounds in the hash, giving you control over the effects and flavors you experience.
There's a learning curve. Using a vaporizer isn't as straightforward as lighting up a joint or pipe. You'll need to learn how to use your specific model, which might involve figuring out the optimal temperature settings for hash.
Discretion. Vaporizers produce less odor than traditional smoking methods, making them a more discreet option for those who want to keep their hash use on the down low. Also, most of the vaporizers available today are portable and can fit in your pocket. This makes it easier to use hash discreetly as well.
It's less Social. Traditional methods of smoking hash are often more social, with a joint or pipe being passed around a group. A vaporizer is typically used by one person at a time, which can make it less suited to social situations.
Tips and tricks
I’m not explaining how to vape your hash with step-by-step instructions because every vaporizer is different when it comes to its operation and optimal temps for hash vapor. I use my Davinci IQ dry herb vape for hash, and here are some general tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years.
- Use the method I described above when it comes to fluffing up your hash with weed for a joint. Fluff up just what you need for the amount of vape sessions you want to rip. Remember don’t mix it too strong with hash, a leaner mix is better here.
- Don’t pack your vape chamber too tight when using a dry herb vaporizer, it won’t vape properly.
- Clean your vape after each session, this is important because the hash will clog it up quickly.
My 4th best way to smoke hash comes down to the bong or bubbler. In this case I’m using my bubbler. No worries though, the bong works the same way when smoking hash.
Pros and cons of smoking hash using a bong or bubbler.
Water filtration is healthier. The primary feature of a bong is the water chamber which acts as a filter for the smoke. As you inhale the smoke is pulled through the water which traps a significant amount of harmful toxins and particulates that would otherwise end up in your lungs. This results in a cleaner, smoother smoke.
Harshness. Despite the water filtration, some people might still find bong hits to be harsher than other methods, especially if taking large hits. People tend to overdo it when using bongs and end up with huge over powering hits that make you cough your lungs out. Been there, done that, too many times.
Smooth hits. The water in a bong cools down the smoke before it enters your lungs making it easier on your throat and lungs.
Cleaning your bong. They tend to be a bit of a hassle to clean, especially compared to simpler methods like hash pipes or joints.
Purity and flavor. Bongs deliver pure hits because you don't need to mix it with weed or anything else. The flavor is also enhanced as bongs filter out some of the harsher unwanted compounds produced when burning hash.
Size and Portability. Bongs are larger and less portable when compared to vaporizers and pipes. Sometimes discreetness is important.
Efficiency. Bongs can be quite efficient as they allow you to inhale all the smoke from the burning hash, meaning less is wasted.
The learning curve. Using a bong might be a bit tricky for beginners. It can take a bit of practice to learn how to use properly and comfortably.
- Prepare your hash: Start by breaking up your hash into small, manageable pieces. For a bong or bubbler you’ll want pieces that are small enough to fit into the bowl but not so small that they’ll get sucked through the water.
- Pack your bowl: Place the pieces of hash in the bowl of your bong. If you’re using a screen, place it in the bowl before adding the hash. Depending on the type of your bong or bubbler, the screen can help prevent small pieces of hash from being sucked through the down stem. In the picture above, I didn’t use a screen because it’s not needed.
- Light your hash: Hold a lighter or torch to the hash and let it start to smoke while inhaling and filling up the chamber (make sure to cover the carburetor if applicable). Also be sure to rotate the lighter around the bowl to ensure an even burn.
- Inhale: Once the chamber is full, inhale the rest of the smoke/vapor. But first exhale the vapor that you inhaled while you were filling up the chamber. This will allow you to get a bigger hit. Now, release the air flow (carburetor) and inhale all that beautiful hash vapor that’s in the chamber waiting for you.
- Exhale and enjoy: After you’ve taken the big hit, exhale and savor the flavour and effects of the hashish.
Tips and tricks
- Remember that hash is potent, so start with a small hit and see how it affects you before taking another.
- Clean your equipment after each use. This will ensure maximum air flow and best tasting results every time. Soaking the glass or metal parts in 99% Isopropyl for a few hours will do the trick. Then rinse the parts in warm water and dry thoroughly.
- I find that using a torch works better and is safer than a lighter. Lighters tend to burn your fingers after extended use.
Other popular ways of how to smoke hash.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to vape hash using a dab rig. If you don’t know what a dab rig is, 420 Science has a great article – DAB RIG BASICS: WHAT ARE DAB RIGS
- Prepare your hash: First, you’ll want to prepare a small piece of your hash. A crumble or hash oil works best with a dab rig. Remember, hash is potent so you don’t need a large amount.
- Heat your nail/banger: Using a torch, heat the nail or banger of your dab rig until it’s red hot. Be careful to avoid burns! The heating time depends on the quality and thickness of your nail and power of your torch.
- Let it cool: This is a crucial step. After heating, allow the nail or banger to cool for about 30 seconds. This will prevent the hash from burning and ensure you get a smooth, flavourful hit. Some people use an infrared temperature gun to help determine the right nail temperature.
- Dab your hash: Using a dab tool, apply your piece of hash to the nail or banger. It should instantly vaporize upon contact.
- Inhale: As soon as you’ve applied the hash, start to inhale through the mouthpiece of your dab rig. Take it slow and steady.
- Use a carb cap: To cover the nail and maximize the airflow and vaporization of all your hash.
- Don’t forget to exhale.
- Clean up: After your dab, use a cotton swab to clean any residue from the nail or banger while it’s still warm. This will keep your rig clean and ensure you always get the best flavour from your hash.
Remember, dabbing is a potent method of consuming hash and the effects can be a hard-hitting, intense experience. Start with a small amount and see how it affects you before moving onto larger dabs. Always prioritize safety when handling a torch and hot glassware. Happy dabbing!
The hot knives method is an old school way of smoking hash that I grew up doing. It doesn’t require any special equipment. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
What you will need.
- 2 plain butter knives that are clean.
- A small ceramic plate or flat dish.
- A straw or small tube about 6 to 10 inches long.
- A kitchen stove or gas element.
- Prepare your hash: Break off small pieces of hash. You’re looking for pieces about the size of a breadcrumb or mouse turd (don’t ask!). Then place the pieces of hash on a small ceramic plate and arrange them so they are easy to pick up with your hot knives. Remember, hash is potent, so you don’t need much.
- Heat your knives: Take the two butter knives and heat the tips of them on a stove burner until they’re red hot.
- Get ready to inhale using your straw or tube: You’ll need something to inhale the smoke with. This could be a straw, a rolled-up piece of paper, or a hollow pen tube. Position this in your mouth and prepare to inhale.
- Dab the hash on to a knife: Using one of the hot knives, pick up the piece of hash. Dab it gently, and the hash will stick to the knife and start burning immediately.
- Press the hash: Grab the other hot knife and press the 2 hot knives together with the hash in between them. The heat will cause the hash to burn instantly.
- Inhale: As you press the knives together, inhale through your straw or tube to draw in the vapor. Take care not to burn your mouth or throat.
Tips and tricks.
- You don’t have to use a straw or tube to inhale the hash, I never did. Just make sure to not burn your lips when inhaling directly from the hot knives.
- If you use a plastic straw, or anything that will burn, to inhale your hash, make sure it doesn’t come in contact with the hot knives. You don’t want to inhale plastic smoke/fumes.
- If you plan to smoke hash using this method often, make sure to stash your cooled burnt knives in a safe place for your next session. Otherwise, all your butter knives will end up getting burnt, and you’ll have to answer all the questions from your friends and family.
The diverse world of smoking and vaping hash offers various methods to suit different preferences, each with its own unique set of advantages and challenges. Whether it’s the modern dab rig that maximizes flavour and potency or the old-school methods of using a hash pipe or hot knives that doesn’t require any special equipment, there’s a method out there for everyone.
Whichever method you choose, make sure that it aligns with your lifestyle, comfort level, and personal preferences to provide the most enjoyable experience. And, of course, always prioritize safety and respect local laws regarding cannabis use.
So, here’s to the wonderful world of hash and helping you find the perfect ways to smoke it. Keep exploring, keep enjoying, remember moderation is key, and as always, happy smoking!
The Chronic Beaver