Navigating the sprawling world of cannabis products can be overwhelming, especially when it comes to pre-rolls. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or a curious beginner, the choices are plentiful but not always clear.
That’s exactly why I’ve crafted this guide. Designed as a 101 FAQ resource, I aim to explain the process of selecting and purchasing quality pre-rolls. From brick-and-mortar retailers to online platforms, and from what to specifically look for to how to ensure you’re getting the best value for your money, this comprehensive guide has got you covered.
If you’ve ever been puzzled about how to differentiate a high-quality pre-roll from a subpar one, or wondered where to find the best selection, then you’re in the right place. This is your ultimate resource for all things related to buying quality pre roll joints.
A word to the wise right upfront – to get a true premium cannabis experience in your pre rolls, make sure to buy the best you can find. Lots of dispensaries make their own pre rolls in house from bottom of the bag leftovers, you do not want this unless the price is too hard to ignore and you’re not much of a weedsnob. — I never liked pre rolls before for this reason, but these days the market has changed for the good and they are much better now and I had a great experience with some infused pre rolls recently.
Different Types of Pre Rolls
Traditional Pre Rolls
Traditional pre rolls are straightforward and contain only ground cannabis flower. These classic joints are a great option for those who prefer a simple and traditional smoking experience without any additional additives or infused products. They are available in various sizes, allowing you to choose the quantity that suits your needs.
The popularity of traditional pre-rolled joints comes down to their convenience, consistency, and versatility, making them a well-loved choice for many cannabis consumers.
Why They’re Popular:
- Ease of Use: For beginners or those who may not know how to roll a joint, pre-rolls offer a convenient, ready-to-use option. No grinding, rolling, or filtering required.
- Time-Saving: In today’s fast-paced world, not everyone has the time to sit down and roll a joint. Pre-rolls save time and are perfect for on-the-go consumption.
- Consistency: When you buy a pre-roll from a relabel source, you’re getting a professionally packed product. This usually means a uniform slow burning experience.
- Quality Control: Reputable dispensaries and brands often produce pre-rolls with quality cannabis, sometimes even using premium flower, ensuring a good experience for the user.
- Variety: Pre-rolls are available in an array of strains, giving consumers the chance to sample different types of cannabis without having to invest in larger quantities of each.
- Giftability: Their ready-to-use nature and often convenient packaging make pre-rolls a popular gift choice for both newcomers and seasoned cannabis users.
- No Special Equipment Needed: Unlike other methods of consumption like bongs or vaporizers, pre-rolls require no additional equipment. All you need is a lighter.
Mini Pre Roll Joints
Mini pre-rolled joints, often referred to as “dog walkers,” “shorties,” or “minis,” are smaller versions of the standard pre-rolled cannabis joints. They typically contain about half the cannabis found in a regular pre-roll, usually ranging between 0.2 to 0.5 grams per mini joint.
Why They’re Popular:
- Convenience: They’re quick and easy to consume, perfect for when you’re on the go or short on time.
- Moderation: The smaller size makes it easier to control your dosage. You can enjoy a mild high without committing to a full-size joint.
- Social Aspect: Mini pre-rolls are great for social settings where sharing multiple types of strains is desired, allowing for a variety of experiences in one session.
- Cost-Effective: Being smaller, they often come at a lower price point than their full-sized counterparts, making them a budget-friendly option.
- Discreet: Their compact size also makes them more discreet, both in terms of usage and odor.
- Less Waste: If you’re someone who can never finish a full joint, minis reduce the wastage of unused cannabis.
Pre Roll Joint Packs
Pre roll packs are a convenient option for those who use cannabis regularly or enjoy sharing joints with friends. These packs typically contain multiple pre-rolled joints, offering a cost-effective way to purchase and consume cannabis. They are available in different sizes, from packs of three to larger packs of ten, twenty or more.
Infused Pre Rolled Joints
Infused joints are a popular type of pre roll in Canada. These joints are made by infusing cannabis flower with various concentrates or other cannabis products. The infusion process enhances the potency and flavor profile of the joint, providing a unique and enjoyable smoking experience.
Benefits of Infused Joints
Infused joints offer enhanced flavors compared to traditional pre rolls. The infusion of concentrates, such as hash, kief, or cannabis oil adds a new layer of complexity to the taste and aroma of the joint. This can elevate your smoking experience and provide a more enjoyable and flavorful long lasting cannabis sesh.
Another benefit of infused joints is the increased potency they provide. By infusing the joint with concentrates or other cannabis products, the THC or CBD content can be significantly boosted. This means that infused joints offer a more potent and powerful experience compared to traditional pre rolls.
Infused joints can also provide unique effects that are not typically experienced with traditional pre rolls. The combination of the infused product with the cannabis flower can create a synergistic effect, intensifying the high or altering the overall experience. Whether you’re looking for a more relaxing or energizing effect, infused joints offer a variety of options to suit your preferences.
Infused Pre Roll Joint Varieties
Hash-infused joints are created by adding a layer of hashish, a concentrated form of cannabis resin, to the traditional pre roll. This infusion enhances the potency and flavor, providing a unique and enjoyable smoking experience. Hash-infused joints are popular among cannabis enthusiasts who appreciate the distinct taste and effects that hash brings.
Kief-infused joints are made by sprinkling a layer of kief, the resinous trichomes collected from cannabis flowers, onto the pre roll. Kief contains a high concentration of cannabinoids, resulting in a more potent joint. The addition of kief provides an extra kick of THC and a refined flavor profile, making it a favorite among those who seek a stronger and more flavorful cannabis experience.
Concentrate-infused joints are created by incorporating cannabis concentrates, such as shatter, wax, or oil, into the pre roll. This infusion method significantly increases the potency and effects of the joint, providing a highly concentrated dose of cannabinoids. Concentrate-infused joints offer a powerful and long-lasting experience, making them a popular choice for those seeking intense effects.
Pre Roll Joints FAQ’s with Tips & Tricks
Why are Pre Rolls Popular?
One of the main reasons pre rolls are popular in Canada is because they offer unparalleled convenience. With the busy lives that many Canadians lead, having pre-rolled joints readily available ensures that enjoying cannabis is a quick and effortless experience. Whether you are at home, out with friends, or on a camping trip, pre rolls allow you to easily partake in cannabis without the need for rolling papers or other smoking accessories.
In Canada, pre rolls are produced by licensed cannabis companies that are subject to strict regulations and quality control measures. This means that when you purchase pre rolls, you can have confidence in the quality and purity of the cannabis you are consuming. Licensed producers are required to test their products for potency and contaminants, ensuring that the pre rolls you purchase meet the highest standards of safety and quality.
Variety of Strains
Another reason pre rolls are popular in Canada is the wide variety of strains available. Cannabis enthusiasts appreciate the ability to choose from a diverse selection of strains, each offering its own unique combination of flavors, aromas, and effects. Whether you prefer a relaxing indica, an energizing sativa, or a balanced hybrid, pre rolls allow you to explore different strains without the need to purchase multiple cannabis products.
What Factors Should I Consider When Buying the Best Pre Rolls?
THC vs CBD Content
When choosing pre rolls, it’s essential to consider the THC and CBD content of the product. THC is the psychoactive compound in cannabis that produces the “high” effect, while CBD offers potential therapeutic benefits without the intoxicating effects. Selecting pre rolls with the desired THC or CBD content allows you to tailor your cannabis experience to your preferences and needs.
Each cannabis strain offers a unique combination of flavors, aromas, and effects. When choosing pre rolls, consider the strain selection offered by the licensed producer. Whether you prefer an uplifting sativa, a calming indica, or a balanced hybrid, selecting pre rolls with the strains you enjoy ensures a satisfying and tailored cannabis experience.
Brand reputation is an important factor to consider when choosing pre rolls in Canada. Licensed cannabis producers that have established themselves as reputable and reliable are more likely to deliver high-quality products. By selecting pre rolls from trusted brands, you can have confidence in the safety, purity, and consistency of the cannabis you are consuming.
Price is a factor that influences many purchasing decisions, and pre rolls are no exception. Consider the price point of the pre rolls and determine whether they align with your budget and the overall value you expect from the product. Keep in mind that while some pre rolls may be more expensive, they may offer higher quality, potency, or added features that make them worth the investment.
Can Pre-Rolls go Stale?
Absolutely, pre-rolls can go stale if not stored properly. When a pre-roll becomes stale, you’ll notice a few telltale signs:
- Dryness: The flower inside the pre-roll will feel crumbly and dry to the touch, losing its natural moisture content.
- Harsh Smoke: A stale pre-roll will produce a harsh, hot smoke that can be uncomfortable to inhale.
- Flavor Deterioration: The rich terpenes that provide the strain’s unique flavor will degrade, leading to a bland or ‘hay-like’ taste.
- Reduced Potency: Over time, the cannabinoids like THC and CBD can also degrade, making the pre-roll less effective.
- Wrapper Issues: The paper can become brittle and more likely to tear or run when smoked.
Can I Choose the Strains in the Pre Rolled Packs?
Pre-rolled packs are sometimes curated to provide a variety of strains, so you can mix and match to try different options and types. Tip: Not all dispensaries provide this, so you have to shop around to find the best place to mix and match. BulkWeedInbox are running a special – Buy 5 get 1 free of infused mix and match Thunder Joints.
Are Pre Rolls Suitable for Beginners?
Yes, our pre-rolls are suitable for beginners as well as experienced users. If you are worried about them being too strong, make sure your selection includes milder THC strains or more budget options. Beginners should stay away from infused pre rolls to start because they are excessively high in THC content. Mini pre rolls might be a good place to start because it makes it harder to overdo it.
How do You Light Pre Roll Joints?
Lighting a pre-roll joint may seem straightforward, but doing it correctly can enhance your smoking experience. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you light your pre-roll like a pro:
- A pre-rolled joint
- A lighter, torch or hemp wick
- Inspect and Pre-Heat: Before lighting, inspect the pre-roll for even packing and no tears. Optionally, you can “toast” the twisted end by holding your lighter close but not touching, rotating for an even initial light.
- Initial Light: Place the joint in your mouth and hold the lighter to the tip. Gently draw air in, rotating the joint to ensure the tip lights evenly. Do not inhale deeply yet; focus on creating a consistent “cherry” (the lit end).
- First Puffs and Adjustment: Take a couple of gentle puffs and check the burn. If it’s uneven, tap off excess ash or dampen the faster-burning side with a moistened finger to even it out.
- Enjoy and Maintain: Proceed with deep, steady puffs. Ash as needed by lightly tapping on an ashtray or metal edge, and keep an eye out for any uneven burning to correct as you go.
- Finish Strong: As you near the end and the smoke becomes hot, use a roach clip or tweezers to hold the small remaining end and finish it off without burning your fingers.
How Do I Put Out a Pre-Roll and Save for Later?
Great question! Sometimes you don’t want to smoke the whole pre-roll in one go. Here’s how to properly put it out and save it for later:
- Stop Drawing: The first step to putting out a pre-roll is to stop drawing air through it. This reduces the oxygen supply, slowing down the burn.
- Tap Out: Hold the joint over an ashtray and gently tap it to let the ash fall off. This makes it easier to extinguish.
- Suffocate the Cherry: Press the lit end (‘the cherry’) into a fireproof surface like the bottom of an ashtray to snuff out the flame. Rotate slightly to make sure it’s fully extinguished.
- Check and Cool: After you think it’s out, check for remaining cherries. If you see some, press it into the ashtray again. Wait a moment to let the ember cool down before storing.
- Storage: Once it’s completely out and cool, place the remaining pre-roll into an airtight container to maintain freshness. If possible, store it separately from your fresh pre-rolls to prevent the smell of the extinguished joint from affecting the others.
By following these steps, you can save the remaining part of your pre-roll for another time without sacrificing too much in terms of taste and quality. Enjoy your next session!
How Can I Stop a Pre Roll From Running (Canoeing)?
Ah, the dreaded “canoeing,” where a joint burns unevenly down one side, can be a frustrating experience. Here’s how you can minimize or correct this issue:
- Even Grind: Make sure your cannabis is evenly ground. Uneven chunks can cause inconsistent burning.
- Uniform Packing: When filling your pre-roll, ensure that it’s uniformly packed from tip to end. A packing tool can help with this.
- Proper Lighting: Light the joint evenly, rotating it as you go, to ensure the entire circumference catches fire.
- Avoid Wind: Windy conditions can make one side burn faster than the other. Shield your pre-roll when lighting it if you’re outside.
- The Wet Finger Technique: Wet the tip of your finger with saliva and lightly moisten the side that’s burning too fast. This will slow down the burn on that side.
- The Blow Technique: Hold the joint horizontally and blow gently on the side that is not burning. The extra oxygen can help to even out the burn.
- The Twist and Tap Method: Twist the end of the joint that’s canoeing to prevent it from burning further, and then tap the joint gently to shake off any loose ash.
- Re-Lighting: If the canoeing is too severe, you may need to extinguish the joint and cut off the uneven part before relighting it.
How do I Store Pre Rolls to Maintain Freshness?
Proper storage can make a big difference, here is how to prevent staleness:
- Airtight Containers: Store your pre-rolls in airtight containers to protect them from exposure to air.
- Cool, Dark Place: Heat and light can degrade cannabinoids and terpenes, so store your pre-rolls in a cool, dark place.
- Humidity Packs: Consider using humidity packs inside your storage container to help maintain the optimal moisture level.
- Avoid Plastic: If possible, avoid storing pre-rolls in plastic tubes as they can create a static charge that pulls trichomes off the buds, reducing potency.
- Use Quickly: Pre-rolls are best enjoyed soon after purchase to ensure you’re getting the full spectrum of flavors and effects.
- Check Seals: Make sure that the container or packaging is sealed well to prevent air from entering and making the pre-roll stale.
Is it Better to Buy Pre Rolls or Roll Your Own?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer, but let’s weigh the pros and cons of each to help you make an informed decision tailored to your needs.
- Convenience: Pre-rolls are ready-to-smoke, which is great for beginners or those who don’t want to spend time rolling.
- Quality: Many dispensaries offer pre-rolls made from premium flower, not just shake, trim, or bottom of the bag buds.
- Variety: You can find pre-rolls in a multitude of strains, potencies, and even flavor profiles (if you’re into that).
- Great for Sampling: Buying a pre-roll is a low-commitment way to try new strains without purchasing larger amounts.
- Cost: You pay for the convenience; pre-rolls are generally more expensive per gram.
- Freshness: Depending on how long they’ve been sitting on the shelf, pre-rolls can be a bit stale.
- Transparency: Unless explicitly stated, you can’t be 100% certain what part of the plant the pre-roll is made from.
Rolling Your Own
- Cost-Efficiency: Buying flower in bulk is generally cheaper per gram than purchasing pre-rolls.
- Customization: You can roll to your preferred size, choose your paper, and even mix strains if you’re feeling adventurous.
- Skill Development: Rolling is an art and a skill that many find satisfying to master, like me, I’m a pro roller!
- Time-Consuming: Rolling takes time and some level of skill, which not everyone has or wants to develop.
- Inconsistency: If you’re not experienced, you might end up with joints that burn unevenly or are too loose/tight.
- Upfront Costs: You’ll need to buy rolling papers and possibly a grinder, though these costs are relatively low.
If you value convenience and variety, especially if you’re new to cannabis or want to try multiple strains without a big commitment, pre-rolls are your friend. If you’re more about the ritual of smoking cannabis, enjoy the act of rolling, and are looking to save some money in the long run, then rolling your own joints is the way to go.
How Much Should I Spend on a Pre Roll?
The cost of a pre-roll can vary widely based on several factors: the quality of the cannabis, the brand, your location, and even the specific dispensary you visit. Online, you can find pre-rolls ranging from around $5 to $20 depending on the quality and size of the pre-roll. Some online dispensaries have promotions such as Tonnie Doobies ($2 each) but expect lower quality flower in them.
Factors to Consider:
- Quality of Cannabis: Top-shelf, premium cannabis will cost more than mid-tier or low-quality flower.
- Brand: Established, reputable brands may command higher prices due to their trusted quality and customer loyalty.
- Strain: Rare or particularly potent strains might cost more than more common or less potent varieties.
- Packaging: Some pre-rolls come with innovative packaging to maintain freshness, which can add to the cost.
- Special Features: Infused pre-rolls or those with added flavors or terpenes can also be pricier.
- Location: Prices can vary depending on the local market, taxes, and other regional factors.
- Bulk Purchase: Some dispensaries offer discounts for buying pre-rolls in larger quantities.
- Promotions and Deals: Keep an eye out for promotions, coupons, or special deals to get more bang for your buck.
- Loyalty Programs: Some dispensaries offer loyalty programs that can lead to discounts or freebies over time.
Where Can I Buy Quality Pre Rolls?
You have several avenues to explore when it comes to buying quality pre-rolls:
Licensed Retailers: Find a legal dispensary near you.
Online Dispensaries: See my top 6 list for trusted retailers
Are There Pre Rolls for Specific Effects?
Absolutely, pre rolls are increasingly being curated for specific effects, making it easier for consumers to choose based on their desired experience. This is especially beneficial for those who might not be familiar with the nuances of different strains. Here’s how it works:
Types of Effects:
- Relaxation/Sleep: Indica-dominant strains are often selected for pre-rolls designed to promote relaxation or aid in sleep.
- Euphoria/Creativity: Sativa-dominant strains are commonly used for pre-rolls that aim to uplift mood, enhance creativity, or provide a burst of energy.
- Balance: Hybrid strains, which are a mix of Indica and Sativa, can offer a balanced effect and are often used in pre-rolls aimed at general well-being.
- Pain Relief: Strains rich in CBD or specific terpenes known for their anti-inflammatory effects may be used for pre-rolls intended to relieve pain.
- Focus: Certain strains are known for their ability to enhance concentration and are chosen for pre-rolls marketed toward those looking for a productivity boost.
- Terpene Profile: Beyond just the type of strain, the terpene profile can greatly influence the effect of the pre-roll. Some cannabis brands are now specifying this to help consumers choose more effectively.
- Infused Pre-Rolls: These are pre-rolls enhanced with additional elements like hash, kief, or even additional terpenes to produce a more potent or specialized effect.
- Packaging: Brands are getting more descriptive with their packaging, often indicating the intended effects right on the label.
- Reviews and Ratings: Many companies and dispensaries provide customer reviews that can offer additional insight into the effects of the pre-roll you’re considering.
How Do I Know if a Pre Roll Is High Quality?
Here’s how you can identify a high-quality pre-roll:
- Color: The joint should have a consistent color, which indicates a uniform grind and blend. Dark spots or overly green areas might be a sign of inconsistency.
- Shape: Look for a joint that is uniformly packed from tip to end. Lumps or loose areas could mean an uneven smoking experience.
- Seal: The end should be neatly twisted or folded. A poorly sealed pre-roll might unravel while you’re smoking.
- Paper Quality: High-quality rolling papers are usually unbleached and thin, providing a smoother and purer smoke.
- Filter/Crutch: A well-designed filter can improve airflow and prevent bits of cannabis from entering your mouth during the draw.
- Label Information: Quality pre-rolls often come with detailed labels indicating strain, terpene profile, THC/CBD content, and even harvest date.
- Brand Reputation: Established and reputable brands are more likely to offer quality pre-rolls. Check reviews or seek recommendations.
- Aroma: The smell should be fresh and reflective of the strain’s aroma. A stale or musty scent is a red flag.
- Packaging: Air-tight, child-proof packaging is a good indicator of a quality product as it helps maintain freshness and potency.
- Value for Money: While you generally get what you pay for, exorbitantly priced pre-rolls aren’t necessarily better. Weigh the price against other quality indicators.
- Burn Quality: It should burn evenly and not go out frequently. An uneven burn (canoeing) often indicates poor rolling or unevenly ground cannabis.
- Flavor: The taste should be clean and flavorful, indicative of well-cured, high-quality cannabis.
Can I Drive After Smoking a Pre Roll?
Absolutely not. Driving under the influence of cannabis is illegal and dangerous, regardless of where you are. Impaired driving due to cannabis use carries serious legal consequences that can include fines, license suspension, and even imprisonment.
Why It’s Risky:
- Impaired Judgment: Cannabis affects your ability to make quick decisions, a crucial skill when driving.
- Slowed Reaction Time: THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, can delay your reaction to unexpected situations on the road.
- Altered Perception: Cannabis can distort your sense of time and space, affecting your ability to judge distances and speed.
- Coordination: THC affects motor skills and hand-eye coordination, which are essential for safe driving.
- Legal Repercussions: Driving under the influence of cannabis is against the law and can result in criminal charges.
- Safety of Others: Beyond the risk to yourself, you’re endangering other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists.
What Are Pre Rolled Cones?
Pre-rolled cones are essentially rolling papers that have already been rolled into a cone shape and have a filter or “crutch” built in. They offer a convenient, efficient way to pack and smoke cannabis without the need for rolling skills. The best attribute of pre rolled cones is that they ensure a uniform shape, which generally provides a more consistent burn with more potent inhales compared to hand-rolled joints.
What Are CBD-Only Pre Rolls?
CBD-only pre-rolls are joints that are rolled with hemp flower or CBD cannabis strains that are rich in CBD (cannabidiol) but contain negligible amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound found in cannabis. These pre-rolls offer many of the same potential benefits as other CBD products, but without the “high” commonly associated with cannabis. Here’s what you should know:
Why Choose CBD-Only Pre-Rolls?
- Non-Psychoactive: For those who want to avoid the high but still enjoy the act of smoking, CBD pre-rolls are an excellent option.
- Potential Health Benefits: CBD has been studied for its potential therapeutic effects, including pain relief, anxiety reduction, and anti-inflammatory properties, among others.
- Quick Onset: Smoking CBD allows for rapid absorption through the lungs, meaning you can feel its effects more quickly compared to edibles or tinctures.
- Full-Spectrum Options: Many CBD pre-rolls are made with full-spectrum hemp, which means they contain a range of cannabinoids and terpenes that work synergistically, often referred to as the “entourage effect.”
- Ease of Use: Pre-rolls offer a convenient, ready-to-use form factor that’s great for those who may not be familiar with rolling their own joints or using other methods of consumption.
The Future of Pre Rolls
Innovation in Infused Products
As the cannabis industry continues to evolve, the future of pre rolls holds tremendous potential for innovation in infused products. We can expect to see an increasing variety of infused joints, utilizing different concentrates, oils, or other cannabis-derived products. These innovations will not only enhance the flavors and effects but also offer new and unique experiences for cannabis lovers.
As the demand for pre rolls continues to rise, we can anticipate an increased availability of these products. More licensed cannabis producers are entering the market, offering a wider range of pre rolls to choose from. This increased availability will give consumers more options in terms of strain selection, infused products, and packaging, making it easier to find pre rolls that suit their preferences and needs.
Growing Consumer Demand
Pre rolls have gained significant popularity in Canada, and this trend is expected to continue as the cannabis industry matures. The convenience, quality, and variety offered by pre rolls appeal to a wide range of cannabis consumers. With the growing acceptance and legalization of cannabis, more individuals are exploring different consumption methods, and pre rolls provide an accessible and enjoyable option for both newcomers and seasoned enthusiasts alike.
Pre rolls have become a popular choice for cannabis consumers due to their convenience, quality control, strain variety, and ease of use. Infused joints, such as hash-infused, kief-infused, and concentrate-infused joints, offer enhanced flavors, increased potency, and unique effects. Packaging options include individual tubes, multi-pack boxes, child-resistant containers, and eco-friendly packaging.
When choosing pre rolls, factors such as THC vs CBD content, strain selection, brand reputation, and price point should be considered. Pre rolls can be purchased from licensed cannabis retailers or online dispensaries.
To maintain freshness, pre rolls should be stored in a cool and dry environment, in proper packaging, and away from light.
The future of pre rolls in Canada holds promise for innovation in infused products, increased availability, and growing consumer demand. So, why not explore the world of pre rolls and discover the convenience and enjoyment they bring to your cannabis experience?
The Chronic Beaver